This is a super easy to make starter, and it doesn´t involve cooking, even simpler! It can also work as a light main dish, if you´ve got a small apetite.
1) Firstly, get all the meats and cheese(s) out of the fridge one hour before being served.
2) Cut, if not already sliced, the meats into slices or pieces, as you prefer, and dish them up on 2 big plates. Cover them with aluminium foil or cling film. Make sure the Ham is bought already thinly sliced.
3) Slice the cheese in, roughly, half centimeter slices, place them on a plate and cover with tin foil or cling film.
4) Put olives in 1 or 2 bowls and cover too.
At the time of serving:
5) Uncover all plates and bowls.
6) Pour a little bit of Virgin or Extra virgin Olive oil over the cheese.
7) Cut thick slices of the bread and put them in a basket or bowl.
-Do not confuse parmaham or prosciutto ham (from Italy) with Iberian or Jabugo ham. Always try to buy the Spanish ones (Iberian or Jabugo). Big difference!
-When cold meats are served cold, they are much less tasty, hence it is convenient to get them out of the fridge an hour before serving. Same with the cheese.
– When it comes to cheese, I find cured cheeses go much better in this dish. Spanish Cured Manchego cheese works very well, but you might not always find it in your supermarket. You can also serve a mix of cured and less matured cheeses.
– All kinds of bread go well with cold meats and cheese, you pick!
-Don´t forget to serve a nice red wine with it or a large jug of Sangría (refer my Sangría recipe) with it.