TIME: 25 mins, with 2 hrs resting time, then 3 mins – 10 mins resting time
1) Peel 4 big potatoes, wash with water, dry well with cloth and cut in 2cms dices (about the size of an OXO stock cube).
2) Half fill up a medium-large frying pan ( 28cms or 10 inches ) with sunflower or frying oil, heat it up at medium-high heat and add the potato cubes. Fry until they start going a little golden, turning them over every couple of minutes.
3) Drain the potato cubes out of the frying pan into a dish-bowl and let them rest for about 2 hours (if you go over 2 hours it is not a problem, and if you can not wait the 2 hours, just let them rest for as long as possible)
4) Whisk 5 eggs, add on a tspoon of salt and 2-3 tbspoons of milk. Pour them over the rested potato cubes and mix gently with a big spoon.
5) In the same frying pan, but with just a little bit of the remaining oil (about 1 tbspoon), on medium heat, put in the potato and egg mixture and cook, at medium heat, for 3-4 mins shaking the frying pan very gently but constantly so the potatoes do not stick.
6) Now comes the tricky part: Put a big (and not too heavy) plate over the frying pan, move the frying pan over the sink, just in case!, and holding the plate with your left hand and pan with the right one, flip over the omelette.
Cook for another 3 mins, again shaking the frying pan gently, and serve on the big round plate.
Let it rest for 10 mins before eating.
– Make sure you always use a non-stick frying pan, or you will end up with scrambled eggs and potatoes!
-On step 2, just before draining the potatoes out of the frying pan, it is typical to add 1/4 of onion chopped finely and fry all together for a further 2 mins. Up to you!.
– In between steps 3 and 4, you can shallow fry for a couple of minutes some small chorizo cubes, and add them to the potatoes and eggs mixture just before cooking the omelette. Or some small cheddar cheese pieces. Up to you!
– By resting the potatoes after frying them you are making the omelette be more moist and tasty, but if you do not have the time to rest, you will still end up with a very nice omelette, so do not worry too much about it.
– You can eat this omelette with a nice chiapatta or baguette bread to go with it, it is the perfect combination!